icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Bury under-21s vs AFC Bournemouth U21s at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


Bury under-21s

, Luke Hatton 82

AFC Bournemouth U21s

, Luke Nippard 20
FT 20th February 2018 1:00 PM
Gigg Lane

PL Cup qualification to go to final day

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


AFC Bournemouth's Premier League Cup fate will be decided on Monday after an extremely young Cherries side were unfortunate to draw 1-1 away to Bury.

On a desperately boggy pitch up north, seven under-18s players started for Carl Fletcher's side, while Bury fielded experienced Football League talent.

The result means that Monday's group game with Wolves is a must win encounter at Vitality Stadium, a win and a likely better goal difference will send the Cherries through to the last 16.

In the 20th minute, the Cherries took the lead through Luke Nippard - who netted his first under-21s goal.

After a good high press deep in opposition territory, Connal Morrison hung a ball up and Nippard - a first year scholar - was on hand to run from deep and meet it in the middle, precisely heading into the bottom corner.

Nine minutes later a huge chance was spurned to make it two, when Mikael Ndjoli squared for Jaidon Anthony in the area, but he couldn't make firm contact with the ball and his effort was straight at the home 'keeper.

That was the last real action of the first half, and the second started with the Cherries on top.

Charlie Seaman fashioned an opportunity, and almost had a glimmer of luck when his brilliant cross was touched on by defender Adam Cooney, which was so close to forcing an own goal but for an outstretched palm of the home stopper.

The Shakers did have the better of the second half as their experienced told, with Fletcher's youthful side looking to break away on the counter attack.

One of those chances from a good break came from a corner, Anthony's whipped ball was brought down by captain Tyler Cordner and he chopped inside his man before firing a low effort into the side netting.

It was so close to making 2-0, but the Cherries were made to pay eight minutes from time when a cross from the right was diverted in Jack Hatton, who squeezed the ball past Mark Travers.

There was almost some late drama as the visitors raced forward with another promising breakaway, with Frank Vincent finding Anthony in space.

He drove into the area and the small crowd in Gigg Lane held their collective breath as he went into space, but his left-footed drive was excellently repelled by the home 'keeper.

That late drama meant that it was just a point for the Cherries, who now encounter a must-win game at Vitality Stadium on Monday.


Breaking News